Q. What is the RGU test ?
- The diagnostic test for male patients with trauma (injury) to the urethra.
- Urethra is the tube that transmits urine from the bladder and out the body.
- If there is any urethral stricture (a block or closing), urine cannot flow out.
Q. What does RGU stand for ?
Q. When is an RGU required ?
In the following situation :-
- Poor urinary stream
- Straining to pass urine
- Dribbling of urine
- Injury to the genital region
- when your Doctor suspects an abnormality of the urethra found in your other investigations like the ultrasound scanning, uroflowmetry test results.
Q. What is done ?
- Firstly, a local anesthetic solution is introduced through the urinary opening, in the opposite direction to the normal urine flow.
- Following this, the contrast solution (which seems opaque on x-rays) is pushed in the similar manner and this is captured on an x-ray film to report the findings.
- Under strict aseptic precautions this procedure is performed .
- The contrast is injected into the urethra by positioning a catheter at the tip of the penis.
Q. Any particular advice ?
- There is no necessity of any preparation as such before this test.
- If you have an active infection of the urinary tract, followed by burning sensation while passing urine, pus in the urine or fever, you will expect to be treated for this before undergoing this test.
Q. Will I have any pain (or) other problems during the procedure ?
- No, the procedure does not pertain to any injections.
- When the local anesthesia solution is given you will only have discomfort.
- But in case you feel pain, soon report to your Doctor and the procedure may be abandoned.
- This procedure does not have any adverse reaction to the contrast agent used.
- Hardly you may have reactions to the contrast (or) the local anesthesia itself.
Q. Will I have any problems following the procedure ?
- May experience a burning sensation while passing urine and may pass slight blood-tinged urine once (or) twice following the test.
- In case the issue persists (or) you develop fever, scrotal pain, then directly report to your doctor.
Q. How long does a urethrogram take?
- Will take between 30–60 minutes.
Q. What is the RGU test price?
- Ranges between Rs. 788 to Rs. 4000