A kidney diet chart typically includes foods that are low in sodium, potassium, and phosphorus, as well as protein. These restrictions are necessary for individuals with chronic kidney disease or those on dialysis, as their kidneys may not be able to properly filter these nutrients.
Recommended foods on a kidney diet include:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables (without added salt)
- Lean meats, fish and poultry
- Whole grains and cereals
- Low-fat dairy products
Foods to avoid on a kidney diet include:
- Processed foods (such as canned soups and frozen meals)
- High-potassium fruits and vegetables (such as bananas, oranges, and potatoes)
- High-phosphorus foods (such as nuts, seeds, and organ meats)
- High-sodium foods (such as bacon, ham, and pickles)
It’s important to note that a kidney diet chart may vary depending on the individual’s needs and their kidney function. Consult with a dietitian or a doctor to get personalized advice.