This drug is utilized to control or remove eclectic bacterial illnesses. Amikacin belongs to a class of drugs known as aminoglycoside antibiotics, and it works by stopping the growth of bacteria.
Before Taking This Medicine
You must not utilize amikacin if you are allergic to amikacin or equivalent drugs such as gentamicin, kanamycin, neomycin, paromomycin, streptomycin, or tobramycin. To earn certain amikacin is unassailable for you, inform your physician if you retain:
- kidney infection;
- asthma or sulfite allergy
- myasthenia gravis
- a nerve-muscle infection; or
- an anxious network disease such as Parkinson’s disease.
Do not utilize amikacin if you are expecting, which can hurt the unborn infant. Utilize an efficacious conception regime to control incubation while the therapy goes on. It is not comprehended whether amikacin hands into breast milk or if it could hurt a nursing infant. It would be satisfactory if you did not breastfeed while utilizing this drug.
The Dose Especially Mentioned in Kidney Disease and Dialysis Patients Dose In Normal Renal Function
15 mg/kg/day in 2 part quantities(maximum dose: 1.5 g/day; maximum cumulative dose: 15 g)
- Molecular weight: 585.6
- %Protein binding: <20
- %Excreted unchanged in urine: 94–98
- The volume of distribution (L/kg): 0.22–0.29
- half-life – normal/ESRD (hrs): 2–3/17–150
Dose In Renal Impairment
- 20 to 50: 5–6 mg/kg every 12 hours
- 10 to 20: 3–4 mg/kg every 24 hours
- <10: 2 mg/kg every 24–48 hours
Dose In Patients Undergoing Renal Replacement Therapies
CAPD: Dialysed. Dose as in GFR
- <10: mL/ min
- HD: Dialysed. Give 5 mg/kg after dialysis.
- HDF/High flux: Dialysed. Give 5 mg/kg after dialysis.
- CAV/VVHD: Dialysed. 7.5 mg/kg every 24 hours and monitor level 1
Important Drug Interactions
Potentially hazardous interactions with other drugs
- Botulinum toxin: neuromuscular block enhanced – the risk of toxicity 2. Ciclosporin: increased risk of nephrotoxicity
- Cytotoxics: increased risk with platinum compounds of nephrotoxicity and possibly of ototoxicity
- Diuretics: increased risk of ototoxicity with loop diuretics
- Muscle relaxants: enhanced effects of non-depolarising muscle relaxants and suxamethonium
- Parasympathomimetics: antagonism of the effect of neostigmine and pyridostigmine 7. Tacrolimus: increased risk of nephrotoxicity
Side effects, primarily on kidneys
Amikacin can damage your kidneys. This consequence is boosted when you likewise utilize specific additional therapies, comprising antivirals, chemotherapy, insinuated antibiotics, drugs for bowel ailments, pills to control organ transplant renunciation, injectable osteoporosis drugs, and few ache or arthritis medications (retaining drugs like aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, and Aleve).
The risk of renal failure is more significant in patients with impaired renal function and those who acquire increased amounts of lengthy treatment. The mechanism of renal toxicity of amikacin concerns a myriad scope of pathophysiological mechanisms, i.e., oxidative stress, inhibition of specific transporters, inflammation, and vascular alterations. All primary operating parts of the nephron, i.e., glomerulus, proximal tubules, distal tubules, and piling vents, are involved. For the administration of amikacin nephrotoxicity, diverse vitamins and antioxidants are utilized.
Mention brands available in India
Amikacin, Amicin, Omnikacin, Macmika, Amitax, Amikamac, Mikastar, Amikin, and Amikacin Pediatric are the available brands in India. They come under the
Drug class of aminoglycosides.