Dialysis or kidney transplant – which is right for me?
Dialysis and kidney transplantation both are the treatment for the kidney failure. Kidney transplantation is either the end stage when your kidney is not working normally and has a donor for replacement. Dialysis is the process of take over a portion of your failure kidney and removes the fluid and waste product. You have no restrictions for the dialysis sessions. After transplantation of the kidney most patients feel active and resume doing the routine work.
You can take the kidney transplantation before being dialysis which is called preemptive transplantation process. Dialysis has the negative consequences on health so it can be avoid through the early transplant. If you are going for the surgey after the dialysis than you need to have the living donor. The transplantation process will be start by the getting the full information about the donor if you do not have the living donor then deceased person kidney will be replaced.
Advantages of kidney transplant
- Kidney transplant help you to improve the quality of your life and reduce the risk of your dying.
- After kidney transplant you do not need to undergo for the dialysis treatment for the life.
- You can even go for the surgery before starting any dialysis treatment by getting the living donor.
Disadvantages of kidney transplant
- There will be major surgical problems arise during and after the transplantation.
- There are various surgical risks like infection, bleeding, damage in surrounding organs and so on.
- Death can be occurring in very rare cases.
- If you have diabetes, infection and cancer then kidney transplant is not best treatment.
Kidney transplantation has the various less chances of rejection of new kidney. You must take care of your health after the surgery. If rejection occurs then medication treatment will help you to treat the rejection.
Dialysis treatment for kidney failure
Dialysis treatment is two types that are hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis. Hemodialysis is done by pumping the blood through dialysis machine to remove the excess fluid and waste product from the body. Vascular access is connected with the body by surgery in which catheter is inserted into a large vein of the neck. It can be done 3-6 times per week and takes 3-10 hours per session.
Peritoneal dialysis is done at home in which abdominal cavity is filled with the dialysis fluid with flexible tube. The catheter is inserted by surgery near the umbilicus that is belly button. It is done by 4-5 times during a day or by machine when you are asleep.
Advantages of dialysis treatment
- Hemodialysis treatment can be done per day with few hours session and patient does not need to learn about the dialysis procedure and Nurses will take care of access to blood stream for the treatment.
- Peritoneal dialysis need to more uninterrupted time of your work, family and social activities.
- In peritoneal treatment you can continue your working as it exchange during the sleep.
Disadvantages of the dialysis
- If you have low blood pressure then it is the complicated treatment.
- There may be chances of shortage of breathe, abdominal cramps, lightheartedness, nausea and vomiting during the treatment.
- The access can cause a blood steam infection which may get clogged up and need surgery to open it.
- In peritoneal dialysis, user needs to understand how to set the equipment. They also need to know about how to set the hands for connecting and disconnecting the small tubes.
The decision of the treatment is depends on your medical condition. If you have any living donor then kidney transplant is best otherwise you have to go through the dialysis.