What kind of medicines are utilized to treat chronic kidney disease?
Individuals with chronic kidney disease are treated with:
- Blood pressure medicines – If you have chronic kidney disease, you have a higher possibility of having high blood pressure. Blood pressure medicines can help forestall heart disease and hinder kidney disease.
- Other medicines – These will rely upon the kind of kidney disease you have, and if you have other medical issues.
Normally, the kidneys filter the blood and evacuate waste and overabundance salt and water. In individuals with chronic kidney disease, the kidneys quit working just as they should. They can’t filter medicines just as they normally would, which can cause unsafe levels of medicines in your body. Along these lines, your doctor may guide you to take a lower portion or change to an alternate medicine. Toward the finish of this article there is a list of things you can do to be careful when taking medicines.
A few medicines can likewise hurt your kidneys. These incorporate “NSAIDs, for example, ibuprofen or naproxen. Before you go for any kind of new medicines, comprising medicines and over-the-counter supplements, ask your nephrologist how they can influence your kidneys.
Listed underneath are the medicines used to treat chronic kidney disease.
Medicines that treat high blood pressure and slow kidney disease
You may require more than 1 kind of blood pressure medicine to support your kidneys:
- Diuretics (water pills) – Diuretics lower blood pressure by helping the body dispose of additional salt and liquid. Examples are furosemide (lasix), torsemide (dytor) and others. They cause individuals to urinate a ton, particularly from the start. In the event that this makes it hard for you to take these medicines, work with your kidney doctor to locate a decent time to take them. Usually need to take a morning if once daily dosing. If I need to take twice daily then the second dose to be taken by afternoon only. Diuretics work better in the event that you limit the measure of salt (sodium) you eat.
A case of a usually utilized diuretic is furosemide (brand name: Lasix).
- ACE inhibitors and ARBs – Angiotensin-changing over compound inhibitors (called “Pro inhibitors”) and angiotensin receptor blockers (called “ARBs”) work in comparable ways. These medicines bring down the blood pressure by loosening up the blood vessels. They additionally bring down the pressure inside the kidneys so the kidneys can filter better and delay kidney disease progression.
Instances of ACE inhibitors incorporate ramipril (cardace), Benazepril (Lotensin), Captopril, Enalapril (envas), Fosinopril, Lisinopril (Prinivil, Zestril), Moexipril, Perindopril. Instances of ARBs incorporate candesartan and valsartan.
- Other blood pressure medicines – Depending on your blood pressure and the kind of kidney disease you have, your kidney specialist may prescribe different kinds of blood pressure medicines, for example, calcium channel blockers (amlodipine, cilnidipine, benidipine, efonidipine nicardipine, nifedipine, verapamil, diltiazem etc.
Your nephrologist may prescribe different medicines, contingent upon the kinds of issues brought about by your kidney disease. These might include:
- Vitamin D — Having chronic kidney disease can prompt having low degrees of calcium in the blood. This can mess bone up. To help avoid bone issues, a nephrologist once in a while prescribes vitamin D (cholecalciferol or calcitriol).
- Phosphate binders — Phosphate is a mineral found in numerous nourishments. Having chronic kidney disease can expand the measure of phosphate in the body. This can be unsafe. To overthrow the evaluation of phosphate in the human body, doctors can prescribe medicines called “phosphate binders.” To work, these medicines must be taken with snacks and meals. Your doctor may likewise prescribe you eat nourishments that have low measures of phosphate. Examples sevelamer and calcium acetate.
- Sodium bicarbonate — When you have chronic kidney disease, the degrees of acids in your body can get abnormal. This can prompt issues like weak muscles and bones. Your doctor may prescribe a sodium bicarbonate pill to help with this issue.
Individuals who take sodium bicarbonate need to abstain from eating a lot of salt. That is on the grounds that sodium bicarbonate likewise has salt in it. Having an excess of salt in your body raises your blood pressure and can exacerbate your kidney disease.
- Medicines to treat anemia — Anemia is the medical term for when an individual has too hardly any red blood cells. This condition can make you feel tired or weak. It is normal in individuals with chronic kidney disease.
Kidney doctors treat anemia by giving you additional iron. They can likewise make use of medicines called erythropoiesis-stimulating agents (called “ESAs” or erythropoietins).
Medicines for your other medical conditions
Medicines that your doctor prescribes for high diabetes (blood sugar) or high cholesterol are additionally important in treating your kidney disease.
What would I be able to do to be safe?
To be careful, it’s important to take your medicines precisely as your doctor lets you know, so you get the correct measure of each medicine. Making use of pill boxes and updates can help.
Your nephrologist needs to know the entirety of the medicines you take. This incorporates any over-the-counter medicines, herbs and vitamins. So it’s a smart thought to keep a list of the names and dosages and carry it with you every single time you go to any doctor.
If your medicines cause difficult side effects, or if you can’t afford your medicines, converse with your kidney doctor. There are frequently approaches to manage these issues. The initial step is to tell your nephrologist.