Patient education: Chronic kidney disease (The Basics)
What is chronic kidney disease?
Chronic kidney disease (CKD) is the point at which the kidneys completely quit working just as they should. At the point when they are working normally, the kidneys filter the blood and expel waste and water and overabundance salt.
In individuals with CKD, the kidneys gradually lose the capacity to filter the blood. In time, the kidneys can quit working totally. That is the reason it is so important to prevent CKD from deteriorating.
What are the symptoms of CKD?
From the start, CKD causes no symptoms. As the disease deteriorates, it can:
- Make your ankles, feet, or legs swell (doctors call this “edema”)
- Give you hypertension
- Make you tired
- Damage your bones
Is there anything that can be done preventing your kidneys from deteriorating if I have CKD?
Truly, you can secure your kidneys by:
- Taking blood pressure medicines each day.
- Keeping your blood sugar in a solid range, in the event that you have diabetes
- Changing your eating routine, if your doctor or nurse says you ought to
- Quitting smoking, in the event that you smoke
- Losing weight, in the event that you are overweight
- Avoiding medicines known as “no steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs,” or NSAIDs. These medicines incorporate ibuprofen (test brand names: Motrin, Advil) and naproxen (test brand name: Aleve). Check with your nurse, doctor, or kidney authority before beginning any new medicines – significantly over-the-counter ones.
What are the treatments for CKD?
Individuals in the beginning times of CKD can take medicines to prevent the disease from deteriorating. For instance, numerous individuals with CKD should take medicines known as “ACE inhibitors” or “angiotensin receptor blockers.” If your nurse or doctor prescribes these medicines, it is important that you take them consistently as coordinated. If they cause reactions or cost excessively, address your nurse or doctor about it. The person may have answers to offer.
What occurs if my kidneys quit working totally?
In the event that your kidneys quit working totally, you can pick between 3 unique treatments to assume control over the activity of your kidneys. Your decisions are portrayed beneath.
- You can have kidney transplant surgery. That way, the new kidney can carry out the responsibility of your own kidneys. If you have a kidney transplant, you should take medicines for a mind-blowing reminder to prevent your body from responding seriously to the new kidney.
- You can figure out how to utilize an extraordinary liquid that must be channeled all through your belly each day. This treatment is designated “peritoneal dialysis.” If you pick this sort of dialysis, you will require surgery to have a peritoneal dialysis catheter embedded in your belly.
- You will be able to have your blood cleaned by a machine. This kind of treatment is designated “hemodialysis,” yet numerous individuals call it just “dialysis.” If you pick this methodology, you should be snared to the machine, in any event, each week 3 times. Before you start, you will likewise need to have surgery to set up a blood vessel for connection to the machine.
How would I pick between the distinctive treatments alternatives?
You and the doctor must work jointly for discovering a treatment that is directly for you. Kidney transplant surgery is generally the best alternative for a great many people. Nevertheless, regularly there are no kidneys accessible for transplant.
Solicit your doctor to clarify all of your alternatives and how they may work for you. At that point talk straightforwardly with the person in question about how you feel pretty much the entirety of the alternatives.